IT/OT convergence helps companies measure and manage productivity in new ways. Data available from the IoT in manufacturing, for example, improves decision making and machine performance. Integrated automation and information opens the door to new productivity-enhancing innovations, including self-aware equipment and collaborative robots.
What Is Your Modernization Strategy?
Embrace New Technology and Make Productivity a Long-term Goal
A modernization strategy is about more than IT/OT convergence or equipment upgrades. It is about development of a roadmap that addresses all aspects of your operation. It is also about preparation for inevitable technology advances and business changes.
Consider some of the ways companies approach modernization to increase productivity:
- Automotive companies use automated data systems to help boost OEE and productivity by 50%
- Food and beverage companies use the Infrastructure-as-a-Service approach to reduce troubleshooting time by 90%
- Oil and gas companies use real-time predictive analytics to spot potential failures and minimize downtime
- Pharmaceutical companies improve process consistency to help increase production by 65%
We also modernized our manufacturing operations as part of our own connected enterprise journey, and integrated automation and information into a connected system. We used the latest MES and EMI software to bring information from hundreds of applications into one central location. Our productivity has increased since the new system was implemented.
IT/OT Convergence in Action
What happens when organizations bridge the gap between plant-floor and enterprise systems? They understand their business better, cut down on downtime, and reach productivity levels that were not possible otherwise. Innovative companies already show what is possible. See how.
Integrated Automation Systems
Connect the Plant Floor with Scalable, Future-proof Technologies
IT/OT convergence bridges the gap between not only plant-floor and enterprise systems, but also between individual devices. For this reason, automation and control systems are built with devices that are seamlessly integrated rather than a collection of individual products.
Technologies that are designed to help build integrated and efficient industrial automation systems include:
- Integrated control systems combine real-time information and multiple control disciplines into one architecture to enhance productivity
- Intelligent motor control devices provide access to information that can drive better decisions and improve system performance
- Smart devices provide the raw data for a Connected Enterprise to help optimize operations
A Single and Secure Network Architecture
The Right Network for a Productive Connected Enterprise
A seamless flow of information can only happen with a secure and reliable network architecture. Organizations that deploy a single network architecture on standard Ethernet and IP can help get the right data to the right worker, place, and time. This approach can drive productivity on the plant floor and across the enterprise.
To plan for IT/OT convergence, it is critical to understand the many complexities involved. In collaboration with our strategic alliance partners, we can help you navigate this process. With Cisco, we can help you converge and simplify your network architecture, close cultural and technical gaps, and train workers. With Panduit, we offer guidance and preconfigured solutions that can help you reduce risk, enhance operational performance, improve reliability, and simplify network implementations.