Fonterra is focused on mitigating the environmental impacts of its manufacturing operations and its Te Rapa site operates a sophisticated wastewater treatment facility, which treats water from dairy factory processes to a high standard before it is discharged into the Waikato River. New Zealand’s environmental legislation requires Fonterra to provide a detailed wastewater compliance reports on a regular basis. Fonterra wanted a system that could provide this information in a cost effective and timely way. In particular, the system had to overcome the following issues:
- Lack of timely information – some environmental performance information was not available to operators or the environmental staff until the next day;
- Consuming valuable labor – staff spent a minimum of 14 hours per week recording, entering and formatting data into nonintegrated lab information management system and multiple spreadsheets;
- Compromised accuracy and security of records and reports – human error, invalid/ non-qualified input data, inconsistent formula use and cumbersome results correction throughout the systems’ wastewater and regulatory calculations;
- Raw data, calculations, records and reports spread across several systems, which provided the potential for unintentional manipulation of results and difficult verification with auditors.
The Solution: Rockwell Software Delivers Active Compliance Assurance
The Real–time Environmental Management (REM) application allows “active compliance” of treated wastewater and other discharges to meet environmental permit conditions through real-time assessment of environmental performance. REM provides a flexible, scalable solution to help meet a wide range of monitoring and compliance reporting requirements. It automatically collects, validates and aggregates data from a wide range of sources and could therefore manage Fonterra’s key objective of providing a system to accurately monitor and provide environmental compliance.
With REM, Fonterra can proactively monitor its wastewater treatment best practice performance and discharges by providing role-based, contextual real-time views with on-demand reports. Additionally, REM provides email alerts of pending breaches or breached limits.
In short, REM offers many advantages for the Te Rapa plant, including:
- Improved accessibility of real-time assessment of environmental performance
- Ability to proactively monitor trends from anywhere at any time
- Ease of accessibility of information to other levels in the organization, not just the plant level
- Accuracy and timeliness of environmental performance
- Quality assurance of input data helps reduce compliance reporting errors and rework
- A single auditable repository of regulatory information
- Flexibility to make additions or modifications as regulations and company objectives change
Fonterra Reduces Risk, Saves Time with help from Rockwell Software REM
Fonterra has identified a number of benefits from the system:
- Improved the real-time visibility of environmental performance to environmental staff outside of the wastewater treatment plant
- Reduced the risks of fines/penalties and adverse publicity associated with late or inaccurate agency reports or non-compliant events
- Allowed easier tracking of wastewater Best Practice Key Performance Indicators
- Improved its investigative capability of non-compliance events
- Sped up the process of producing routine reports.
Te Rapa employees have taken advantage of REM’s browser-based user interface to view real-time performance, and create internal and compliance reports. With Pavilion8 REM, the company has a comprehensive system that automatically and accurately records and reports its environmental performance and will help verify its longterm environmental compliance. The deployment has been so successful that Fonterra is looking to expand the Rockwell Software REM Wastewater application to additional sites.