12 Reasons to Invest in Manufacturing Production Management Software
Successful manufacturers produce at or above target levels while meeting cost and quality objectives. They enforce standard manufacturing processes and continuously monitor and adapt production plans to better meet cost, quality, flexibility, delivery and other objectives on the fly.
To support new products or production volumes, manufacturers often need to add equipment to the plant and change material flow. Too frequently, however, this is a lengthy process that requires collaboration among several disciplines.
It’s a lot to manage and the one constant is change. Machines break down, employees are absent, and alternative work plans and/or parts lists may be required. Delivery dates, setup, cleaning and maintenance times all may fluctuate. There may be quality issues or quality and transportation resources may not be available.
Manufacturing production management (MPM) software provides a consistent, repeatable method of managing orders for discrete applications in complex environments. Designed well, MPM software manages the build process, tracks order data and provides this information to ERP systems to support end-to-end production management and enable continuous improvement. Manufacturers can reap significant improvements in bottom-line profitability, on-time delivery and better quality products. Let’s look at some specifics.
Free eBook: FactoryTalk® Production: Better manage and control production
for more efficient and profitable operations
- Reduce manufacturing cycle time: With good MPM software, manufacturers can manage and control the order process from initiation through final shipment using a graphical representation of their factory to see production.
- Reduce or eliminate data entry time: The best MPM software applications provide graphical plant layouts that allow manufacturers to add equipment to a system and change material flow simply by dragging connectors and editing properties.
- Reduce work-in-process: Electronic dashboards and reports can help manufacturers analyze the order process and monitor Key Performance Indicators, providing automated, real-time updates such as order status, material consumption and process deviations.
- Reduce or eliminate paperwork between shifts: Digital work Instructions provide the ability to change operators at shift change and continue the build process without having to finish or restart.
- Reduce lead times: How many times per week have you seen production delays because the right parts weren’t available at the assembling station? MPM software tracks parts automatically throughout the manufacturing process.
- Improve product quality: Each part is produced according to a configured build plan that defines an enforceable set of digital work instructions at each operation.
- Eliminate lost paperwork: MPM software tracks the build process digitally, eliminating the need for paper-based information to ride along with the part.
- Empower plant operations: The ability to balance the workload on a line is as easy as changing the workflows graphically at the appropriate stations.
- Improve the planning process: As product is built to order, material consumptions are tracked to provide advanced ordering of materials or supplier produced subassemblies.
- Improve customer satisfaction & brand loyalty: Consumers want visibility into the status of their order as it is being produced and validation from the manufacturer regarding when and where products were produced. Good MPM software tracks and provides this information to sales and marketing systems.
- Reduce setup costs, wait times: When adding equipment or balancing the workload on a line, good MPM software allows manufacturers to easily create and reconfigure workflows at each piece of equipment using wizards.
- Enable more reliable and precise sequence planning: Good MPM software allows manufacturers to create build plans that determine which part or set of parts can be produced on a particular line as well as the steps required.
There you have it: a dozen reasons to invest in manufacturing production management software.
To find out more about manufacturing production management, including the FactoryTalk Production® application, check out our free eBook and watch a demo.