The standards regarding functional safety and relevant laws and directives demand that people and organizations performing responsible (accountable) tasks during all life cycle phases of a machine must achieve and prove required competencies.
In this training, students will learn how current standards dictate the design and proof of functional safety for machines. The participant will learn how safety devices and components are assembled and applied to reduce hazards from machinery so the necessary safety for people and environment is achieved. Practical examples will demonstrate possibilities regarding machine protection.
In addition to the technical requirements, students will learn about organizational measures, quality assurance techniques, and documentation for lifecycle design and validation.
After completing this course, students should understand and be able to use IEC 60204-1, IEC 62061, ISO 12100, ISO 13849-1, -2, and other relevant machine functional safety standards.
Students who want Functional Safety for Machinery Engineer Certification (TÜV Rheinland) must meet all eligibility requirements and pass the exam scheduled on the fifth day.
Who Should Attend
Application engineers, system integrators, developers, safety specialists, and authorized experts in machinery should attend this course.
- Required: A completed and approved eligibility form to receive certification (see details below)
- Strongly Recommended: Functional Safety for Machinery Introduction (Course No. SAF-TUV1)
Certificate Eligibility Requirements
Requirements to receive the Functional Safety for Machinery Engineer Certificate (TÜV Rheinland):
- Before taking the course, an eligibility form from TÜV Rheinland must be completed and approved, proving:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the field of functional safety
- University engineering degree (Master’s or Bachelor’s) or global equivalent
- Equivalent engineer level responsibilities status certified by employer
- Attended full SAF-TUV2T course
- Passing grade of 70% or higher on the exam
If all eligibility requirements are fulfilled, exam participants will receive individual notification of results and the Functional Safety for Machinery Engineer certificate from TÜV Rheinland.
Participant Must Bring
- Copies of Standards
Rockwell Automation provides all technology, except for the standard calculator required for the exam.
To enhance and facilitate students’ learning experience, the following material is provided to each student as part of the course package:
- Student Manual, covering course material and key concepts
Standards are not provided by Rockwell Automation. Although not required, students who plan to pursue certification may want to bring copies of the following:
- IEC 60204-1
- IEC 62061
- ISO 12100: 2010
- ISO 13849 part 1 and part 2
Standards can be purchased from the following sites:
This course is 4.5 days.
Rockwell Automation CEUs
CEUs Awarded: 3.2