A modern control system is more than its name implies. It delivers the fast system performance, high capacity and optimized productivity that you need from a control system today.
Our ControlLogix® and GuardLogix® 5580 family of controllers use the Studio 5000® design environment as the standard framework that optimizes productivity, reducing time to commission. This framework manages Integrated Motion over EtherNet/IP for high-speed motion applications and SIL2/PLd and SIL3/PLe safety solutions. It can also help you create more competitive operations with:
Common plant-wide control
ControlLogix 5580 controllers provide multi-discipline control for discrete, motion, process and safety applications.
A simplified architecture
Our Logix offerings work together in what we call our Integrated Architecture® offering. It helps you keep costs down and reduce system complexity.
The ControlLogix 5580 controller incorporates security mechanisms like centralized authentication and access control to help keep your systems secure. We have also received ISO 27001 certification to help protect intellectual property – both ours and yours. And our vulnerability-management process aligns to IEC 29147 and 30111.
Portfolio Expansion Meets New Performance and Industry Application Needs
The ControlLogix 5580 portfolio expansion is enabled through the Studio 5000 Logix Designer® version 33 software release, and it showcases our commitment to meet customer performance needs and industry applications by introducing the 5580 controller redundant capability and the following new controllers: process, extreme temperature, and no stored energy.
Key features and benefits:
- Enables benefits of a ControlLogix 5580 controller architecture
- Access to next generation I/O
- Provides the basis for our Process controllers
- Enhanced productivity features such as onboard display, 2GB Secure Digital (SD) card
- One firmware for all solutions, standard and redundant
- Never experience a memory penalty for enabling redundancy
- For industries such as Food & Beverage, Oil & Gas, Chemical, Plastics, Life Sciences, Metals & Mining
- Incorporates the functionality of standard controller including motion and conformal coating
- Tight integration with PlantPAx® 5.0 system reduces the need to import Add-On Instruction
- Subscribe and receive diagnostic information through FactoryTalk® View Site Edition without additional programming
Extreme Temperature Controller
- Operation from -25…+ 70 °C (-4…+158 °F)
- Convection cooled design
- Maintains same product certifications as the standard product
- Tested to ANSI/ISA-S71.04-1985; Class G3 standards
No Stored Energy controller
For use in hazardous zone applications such as underground mining and refineries requiring energy discharge to less than 200uJoules
- Offers certification to a robust control system security standard - TÜV Rheinland IEC 62443-4-2
- Gains up to 45% capacity when using the 5580 controller
- Includes a 1 gigabit (Gb) embedded Ethernet port that enables high-speed communications, I/O, and motion control
- Offers controller functions that maximize system performance
- Includes controller-based change detection and logging, digitally-signed controller firmware, and role-based access control for extra security
- Provides a display that allows for enhanced diagnostics and troubleshooting
- Offers conformal coating to help protect in harsh environments; these products include a “K” in the catalog number
- Offers memory options from 3…40 MB
- Includes a 1756 Slim Power Supply option for series B and C standard and 1756 XT Chassis, which offers a 29% reduction in width when space is limited
- Offers chassis with up to 17 slots in standard and conformal coated
GuardLogix 5580 Safety Controllers
- Achieves SIL CL 2 / PLd with primary controller
- Achieves SIL CL 3 / PLE with primary controller plus safety partner
- Optimized for faster safety reaction time to achieving protective device coverage and reducing the risk of injury
- Offers Standard memory options from 3...20 MB
- Offers safety memory options from 1.5...6 MB
- Offers communication options from 100...250 EtherNet/IP nodes
- Offers conformal coated options for harsh environments
- Provides single controller/software/network for standard and safety control
- Includes mix and match safety and standard I/O
- Provides networked safety functions with motion and the following drives: Kinetix® 5700 with Advanced Safety and PowerFlex® 755 with Advanced Safety
(Compared to a ControlLogix 5570 controller)
(Compared to a ControlLogix 5560 controller)
|Embedded Ethernet Port||1 gigabit (Gb)||No|
|Local Programming Port||USB||USB|
|Energy Storage Module (ESM) Included||Yes||Yes|
|Onboard Display Included||Yes||Yes|
|Supported in Studio 5000 Automation Engineering & Design Environment™||Yes||Yes|
|Non-volatile Memory||Secure Digital (SD) card||Secure Digital (SD) card|
|User Memory, Max||40 MB||32 MB|
|I/O Points, Max||128,000 digital; 4,000 analog||128,000 digital; 4,000 analog|
Tools & Resources
- Drives and Motion Accelerator Toolkit — Use selection tools, layout & wiring drawings, and HMI files to design, install, operate, and maintain a Rockwell Automation® drive system.
- EtherNet/IP Capacity Tool — Calculate resources used by a proposed EtherNet/IP™ network.
Use the following software to help configure your ControlLogix 5580 controllers.
- TÜV Rheinland IEC 62443-4-2
Certifications apply when product is marked. See our Product Certification site for Declarations of Conformity, certificates and other certification details.
Our ControlLogix® controllers offer the memory, speed, and processing capabilities to meet the demands of basic plant floor applications to high-performance process and motion applications. These controllers:
- offer increased capacity, that let you execute more control strategies in each task
- significantly improve the amount of information to be exchanged between control and supervisory layers
- provide high-speed motion command and axis trajectory planner execution for complex, high-performance motion applications
- support as many as 100 axes of integrated motion
- significantly improve controller scan times using a faster dual-core CPU
- offer improved communication rates