This course is for technicians and specialists responsible for machine safety. An eligibility form approved by TÜV Rheinland is required to enroll.
- Course Number: SAF-TUV2T
- Type: Instructor-led
- Technology: Safety Courses
- Category: Understand
- Duration: 4.5 days
The standards regarding functional safety and relevant laws and directives demand that people and organizations performing responsible (accountable) tasks during all relevant lifecycle phases of a machine must achieve and prove the required competencies.
In this training, students will learn how current standards dictate the design and proof of functional safety for machines. The participant will learn how safety devices and components are assembled and applied to reduce hazards from machinery so the necessary safety for people and environment is achieved. Practical examples will demonstrate possibilities regarding machine protection.
In addition to the technical requirements, students will learn about organizational measures, quality assurance techniques, and documentation for lifecycle design and validation.
After completing this course, students should understand and be able to use IEC 60204-1, IEC 62061, ISO 12100, ISO 13849-1, -2, and other relevant machine functional safety standards.
Students who want Functional Safety for Machinery Engineer Certification (TÜV Rheinland) must meet all eligibility requirements and pass the exam scheduled on the fifth day.
After completing this course, students should be knowledgeable about the following topics and tasks:
- Understand the Functional Safety for Machinery Engineer Certification (TÜV Rheinland)
- Legal guidelines and standards
- Risk analysis and processes (ISO 12100:2010)
- Basic electrical safety principles (IEC 60204-1)
- New standards regarding safety of machinery
- ISO 13849-1, ISO 13849-2, and IEC 62061
- Safety devices
- Safety functions of machines
- Circuits, schematics, and examples
- Perform ISO 13849/IEC 62061 calculations
Who Should Attend
Application engineers, system integrators, developers, safety specialists and authorized experts in machinery should attend this course.
- Required: A completed and approved eligibility form to receive certification (see details below)
- Strongly Recommended: Functional Safety for Machinery Introduction (Course No. SAF-TUV1)
Participant Must Bring
- Printed copies of standards
Rockwell Automation provides all technology, except for the standard calculator required for the exam.
To enhance and facilitate the students’ learning experiences, the following materials are provided as part of the course package:
- Student Manual includes the key concepts, definitions, examples, and activities presented in this course
Standards are not provided by Rockwell Automation. Standards are required for this class and the student will need to bring a printed copy of the following standards:
- IEC 60204-1 (2018)
- IEC 62061 (2021)
- ISO 12100: (2012)
- ISO 13849 part 1 (2015) and part 2 (2012)
Standards can be purchased from the following sites:
- ANSI site: https://webstore.ansi.org/
- ISO site: https://www.iso.org/publication-list.html
- IEC site: https://webstore.iec.ch/
- IHS site: https://global.ihs.com/
Certificate Eligibility Requirements
Requirements to receive the Functional Safety for Machinery Technician Certificate (TÜV Rheinland):
- Before taking the course, an eligibility form from TÜV Rheinland must be completed and approved, proving:
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in the field of functional safety
- University engineering degree (Master’s or Bachelor’s) or global equivalent (copy of degree must be included with your eligibility form)
- Equivalent engineer level responsibilities status certified by employer (Reference letter on company letterhead signed by a manager must be included with your eligibility form)
- Attended full SAF-TUV2T course
- Passing grade of 70% or higher on the exam
If all eligibility requirements are fulfilled, exam participants will receive individual notification of results and the Functional Safety for Machinery Engineer certificate from TÜV Rheinland.
- Understanding the Functional Safety for Machinery Engineer Certification (TÜV Rheinland)
- Defining Legal Guidelines and Standards
- Defining Risk Analysis and Processes (ISO 12100:2010)
- Defining Basic Electrical Safety Principles (IEC 60204-1)
- Identifying Safety Devices
- Identifying Safety Functions of Machines
- Identifying Circuits, Schematics, and Examples
- Defining New Standards Regarding Safety of Machinery
- Defining ISO 13849-1
- Defining ISO 13849-2
- Defining IEC 62061
- Performing ISO 13849/IEC 62061 calculations
- Exam (4 hours)