Digital Transformation of manufacturing operations is top of mind for most manufacturing leaders as what’s needed to stay competitive in the market. The manufacturing environment is ripe with underutilized data that can be used to make faster and more informed decisions and actions. Organizations that have successfully implemented and executed a digital strategy at a plant or enterprise level are seeing strong double-digit improvements in productivity, quality, lead time, on-time delivery and inventory.
However, only 25% of manufacturers have scaled digital systems at an enterprise level. Most of the other 75% are still defining their digital strategy or stuck in “pilot purgatory”.
If the results of a successful digital transformation are clear and technology solutions are readily available, what is holding manufacturers back from realizing the value to be had?
The answer is that digital transformation is truly a paradigm shift for the organization. While the tendency is to focus on the technological enablers, organizational adoption is an often overlooked, critical link between having the right technology and achieving a step change in operational productivity. Here are four realities a manufacturing organization must address to be successful in a digital transformation.