Product safety at Rockwell Automation is a formal function in our Office of Product Safety & Security and reports to through the Chief Technology Officer. The Office of Product Safety and Security reviews all product safety-related incidents, tracks their management, and shares best practices within our company.
Our Product Safety management system consists of:
- Product safety managers at the corporate level, within the Office of Product Safety & Security
- A set of product safety company policies that govern the management system
- Product safety coordinators at product line and business unit levels
- Yearly employee training on product/service safety
Product safety is considered for the entire life cycle of the products including installation, operations, maintenance and end of life. Our approach integrates:
- A proactive process: Product safety risk is evaluated and documented for each product, whether new or as an update, during development. Unacceptable risks have to be mitigated by design.
- A reactive process: All product safety related incidents are analyzed by a product safety manager and a cross functional team to determine a mitigation plan. We monitor performance with targets defined for disclosure commensurate with the results of the incident analysis.
Our Chief Product Safety & Security Officer, who oversees the Office of Product Safety & Security, is ultimately responsible for the program. In the last fiscal year, we released seven public product safety advisories; corrective actions have been put into action for all inquiries.