Rockwell Automation Offers Virtual Image Templates for the PlantPAx Process Automation System
Manufacturers can use templates to simplify and leverage virtualization, resulting in reduced validation and engineering costs, and extended product life cycles
MILWAUKEE, Oct. 15, 2012 — Rockwell Automation has launched virtual image templates for the PlantPAx process automation system, including a system server, operator workstation and engineering workstation. These preconfigured, drop-in templates, delivered as images on a USB hard drive, help reduce validation costs and initial engineering time.
Installing a complete process automation system traditionally takes several days. A virtual image of each component, however, can be deployed in two to three hours. Once deployed, the components can be duplicated in minutes.
“Whether you’re operating one plant or many, virtual image templates significantly simplify the deployment and management of process control systems,” said Steve Pulsifer, director of Process Market Development, Rockwell Automation. “Plus, users benefit from immediate access to simplified upgrade and patch management typical within a virtualized architecture.”
The templates operate in an open virtual-format file, officially supported by VMWare vSphere. The three core elements are:
- Process Automation System Server (PASS): Provides central name resolution and look-up services across multiple computers for central administration of data throughout the PlantPAx process automation system. The PASS also provides data, HMI and alarm-server capability.
- Operator Workstation: Consists of the software needed for visualizing and controlling the process.
- Engineering Workstation: Includes all the necessary software to fully configure the control and visualization components of the PlantPAx process automation system.
About Rockwell Automation
Rockwell Automation, Inc. (NYSE: ROK), the world’s largest company dedicated to industrial automation and information, makes its customers more productive and the world more sustainable. Headquartered in Milwaukee, Wis., Rockwell Automation employs over 21,000 people serving customers in more than 80 countries.
For more information:
- Rockwell Automation Process Solutions: http://www.rockwellautomation.com/solutions/process/
- Virtual Image Template photos: http://flic.kr/p/dcvbiK
Padilla Speer Beardsley Inc.
LISTEN. THINK. SOLVE. and PlantPAx are trademarks of Rockwell Automation, Inc.
Trademarks not belonging to Rockwell Automation are property of their respective companies.
# # #